Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sania's athleticism impresses Agassi's trainer


BANGALORE: Gil Reyes, the much-acclaimed trainer of Andre Agassi, who put Indian ace Sania Mirza through the paces at his Las Vegas base, gave the 22 -year-old's physical condition a thumbs-up.

Reyes said he was impressed with the Hyderabadi's physical prowess. "I've enjoyed working with Sania. I'm truly impressed with her athleticism. She has natural athletic ability," he said.

"Professional tennis has become quite physical and adding strength and power - specially speed, movement and court coverage - to a natural athlete like Sania could improve her tennis."

Sania, ranked 87 in the world, has been planning the trip to Las Vegas for quite sometime now.

She managed to take a week off her tight schedule between tournaments in Dubai and Indian Wells, California for this weeklong stint.

"Even before I met him I knew he was one of the best in his profession," Sania said.

"After my stint with him, I realized that apart from being the best, he's also the most wonderful human being."

Sania is returning to professional tennis after spending most of the 2008 season on the sidelines due to a wrist injury because of which she hasn't been able to push herself as much as she'd like to.

However, with a mixed doubles Grand Slam title in Melbourne and an appearance in the singles final in Pattaya, Sania has shown form.

But there's plenty of work ahead. This week in Indian Wells, starting March 11, she defends 65 points from her fourth-round showing last year.

"It's important to respect Sania's recent wrist injury and not force the issue. However, she has been training her lower body with great focus and intensity," Reyes said.

Reyes hopes to work with Sania again in the future.

"I hope that her schedule will include many days at my training centre. I believe that by adding greater physical capabilities to her abundant tennis talent, Sania will enjoy a successful career as a professional athlete," he said.

When Sania met Steffi Graf

Las Vegas, for Sania Mirza, was a week of heavy work and a chance meeting. The Indian star ran into her childhood idol, the legendary German Steffi Graf, at Gil Reyes' training centre and was at a loss for words.

"I'd just finished practice and was walking back to the car with my father, we were going back to the hotel. That's when I spotted Steffi coming my way. She was just a few yards away. She was coming in for a hit herself," an excited Sania said.

"I've always been a great admirer of Steffi," said Sania, who like her idol enjoys dominating matches with her forehand. "I felt like a fan when I met her. This was my first meeting with her. She was so nice," Sania said of Graf.

"She introduced herself and enquired about my practice session. I just about managed to mumble something."

Source:http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sanias-athleticism-impresses-Agassis-trainer/articleshow/4245915.cms

No comments: