Thursday, March 12, 2009

I am ready to win, says Tiger Woods


MIAMI: Tiger Woods has set his sights on victory at this week's WGC-CA Championship despite making his first appearance in a strokeplay event since his astonishing playoff win at the US Open nine months ago.

The world number one shut down his 2008 season in mid-June to have reconstructive knee surgery before returning to the PGA Tour at last month's WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship.

"I'm ready to win, yeah," Woods told reporters with a steely glint in his eye after playing a practice round with Canadian Mike Weir at the Doral Golf Resort on Wednesday.

"That's why I'm here. (It) feels good to be back here. This golf course is playing just in great shape right now. The greens are perfect and the fairways are great.

"It was fun to get back out there, get a practice round under my belt and get ready for tomorrow."

Although a little wary of how he will adjust to the rigours of strokeplay competition, Woods has a remarkable record at the WGC-CA Championship with six wins at six different venues in nine starts.

On top of that, the 33-year-old has always loved playing at Doral, posting three victories here among six top-10s in just six appearances for an aggregate 89-under-par total on the flat, palm tree-lined layout.

"Certain golf courses just fit your eye," Woods said. "This golf course, ever since I played here in '98 for the first time, it just fit my eye. Even after the re-design, it still fit my eye."

In his hotly anticipated return to the game in the Arizona desert two weeks ago, Woods was encouraged by his form despite losing to South African Tim Clark in the second round.

"Everything was better than I thought," the 14-times major winner said. "It was a big shot of confidence for me to get out there and play again and feel physically sound.

"I thought I would be a little more sore but recovery from day to day has been great. It couldn't have been more positive, except for getting beat in the second round. But from a physical standpoint, it was better than I thought."

Asked to assess his readiness for Doral, Woods replied: "Well, I don't know. I haven't played a strokeplay event yet so it's kind of hard for me to give you a number on that. Physically, I feel good.

"But getting into a strokeplay event and where you're not playing an opponent and you're playing the golf course again; I'll have a better idea when the tournament is done.

"I just need rounds under my belt and this week will be a very positive week for me. Four rounds and no cut, which is exactly what I need."

Source:http://sports.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/I-am-ready-to-win-says-Tiger-Woods/articleshow/4253133.cms

No comments: