Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vijender asked to show proof he won medals

CHANDIGARH: The Haryana government which awarded its meritorious athletes with the highest state award - Bhim Award - with much fanfare on Thursday cast aspersions on Olympic bronze medallist Vijender Singh's claim to the cash award meant for Asian Championships and World Championships medals.

The sports department asked Vijender to produce certificates proving that he indeed had won medals in the mega events. Vijender had won a silver in the Asian Championships in Guangzhou (2010) and a bronze - the first ever by an Indian - in the 2009 World Amateur Championships.

Haryana sports director OP Singh said, "Shukr manaye ki unko itne paise mile hai Commonwealth Games me kharab pradarshan karne ke bavjood. Ye jo paisa hai public money hai, main inhe aise nahi de sakta. There are set government procedures I've to follow like proper documentation. Bring the certificates and I'll give the money."

Vijender said, "For past sometime they have been asking about the certificates. For World Championships we do not get certificates, so how can I prove it. I have the medal which they do not accept. I lost the Asian Championships certificate during transit. Though I have given a letter from the federation confirming that I have indeed won the medal, but that does not satisfies them."

The cash prize does not amount to more than Rs one lakh each for both events. Vijender's father said, "My son deserves the cash prize but do we need to run after them."

TOI

No comments: